Thursday, March 18

Chickpea Quinoa Pilaf

I was looking for something easy and nutritious to make for dinner last night and got side-tracked looking through a newsletter from the local health and nutrition store. I found a recipe for Chickpea Quinoa Pilaf. It sounded good (and easy, and nutritious) so I gave it a try. My husband and I loved it. The kids liked picking out the chickpeas. :)

We started dinner out with this salad:

Romaine Lettuce, torn
Carrots, sliced in discs
Avovado, diced

Mix in bowl and top with favorite dressing. I like to drizzle a little balsamic vinegar and add a bit of agave. Yum!

We ate the Pilaf with steamed broccoli.

This recipe originally comes from Veganomicon but I made a few changes. Here it is the way I prepared it.

Chickpea Quinoa Pilaf

2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped finely (about 1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups vegetable broth

In a small stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions in coconut oil for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes. Add the tomato paste, cumin, black pepper, and salt. Saute for another minute. Add the quinoa and saute for 2 miutes. Add the chickpeas and broth and bring to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, lower the heat to very low, cover, and cook for about 18-22 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water; stir occasionally. Fluff with a fork and serve.

2 comments:

KT said...

Thanks for sharing! I will have to try it out!

geri said...

Yea! I do have all of those ingredients! (Okay, so maybe not the oil, but close!)