Saturday, June 12

marathon #3

I woke up this morning around 3:30 for the Utah Valley Marathon. Hubby dropped me off at the bus pick up at 5. I had mixed emotions about this race. Earlier in the week I had woken up and was unable to move my neck. It was so painful, that by the end of the first day I was in tears. I visited a chiropractor and a deep tissue masseuse with little relief.

The night before the race I had Hubby and my dad give me a blessing. In the blessing I was promised that I would have faith in my body. I would know when to walk and rest, and when to run. I felt very comforted. On the bus ride up the canyon I felt relaxed and ready.

The race started and I took off slowly (who do you think I am? and Olympic marathoner?) The first 5 or 6 miles passed by easily. By mile 7 I was really glad I had packed some garbage bags and put one on. It kept the rain off, but it was soooo cold. (I was running in my winter clothes for Pete's Sake!) Wet and cold. Not good for my "systems". I couldn't eat or drink anything and my stomach hurt - badly! I pushed on, and turned onto the highway in Provo Canyon. The road had turned into a river. I was miserable. My mantra became, "Have faith in your body. You can do this. You know you can." I said it over and over and over. I walked, took my time in the bathroom, and forgot about a PR for this race. I just wanted to cross the finish line.

I was seriously asking myself why I had chosen to run a full marathon as I passed the starting line for the half marathon. I was getting pretty down, but kept repeating my mantra, and listened to "Eye of the Tiger", and "Gonna Fly Now" (about a million times each - gotta love Rocky!). I knew that Hubby would be meeting me somewhere around mile 20. I couldn't wait to see him. It was our 8th anniversary that day, after all. :)

I kept scanning the crowd and finally saw Hubby on the corner with a bright neon sign (thanks for helping him Mom!!). I've never been so happy to see him. Before I saw him, I was just about to break down. Hubby could tell.

He was so sweet and ran with me for a mile until I could get myself together to finish the race. It worked and I actually enjoyed the last 5 miles. With three miles I felt my legs come alive and I picked up the pace a bit. As I pulled around the final corner I kicked it into high gear and sprinted to the finish.

I was so happy to be done. My time was not the best (5:01), but I was glad I stuck with it and finished the race.

When we got back to my parent's house, this was on the garage door. :)

I'm thinking I'm going to have to try this marathon again. It has to get better, right?

We did celebrate our anniversary later in the evening:

Dinner at the Melting Pot

A fun movie - the A-Team.

Before you say, "What??" you have to realize that I was a member of the A-Team fan club when I was younger and had an autographed picture of the one and only Mr. T.

Thanks Hubby for 8 years. It's been a roller coaster, but our marriage has sure been exciting, right? ;) Thank you for always being supportive of the crazy things I get myself (and us) into. I love you!!!!

No comments: